Persevering Saints is the official name of Riverbend's 55-up Ministry. The name was actually chosen by Dr. R.A. Hargrave, Senior Pastor, after he viewed a list of prospective names that had been submitted by the Leadership Team. “Persevering Saints is a description,” he said, “of what Riverbend is and of what senior adults are supposed to be.”
NOTE: Persevering Saints is NOT a Bible Fellowship Group. It is the ministry name for all adults 55-up---more than 380 Riverbenders.
The purpose of Persevering Saints is to glorify God by providing an avenue of fellowship and outreach, participating in activities that foster spiritual growth and health, and helping senior adults live, learn and serve through the vitality of Jesus Christ.
But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing. —James 1:25 (ESV)
NOTE: Persevering Saints is an “action ministry” that seeks to involve senior adults (ages 55-up) in persistently and consistently practicing the principles of Scripture in ministering to each other, to others in the church, to those outside the church.
Many Riverbenders are involved in the planning and development of Persevering Saints activities and ministries. However, the core of the coordination is conducted by the Leadership Team. Members of that team include Dr. R.A. Hargrave (Senior Pastor), Jerry Schaeffer (Pastor of Senior Adults), Kay Moody (Administrative Director), Sandy Leisner (Secretary), Barbara Cook, Aggie Dixon, Ferne Cox, Louis Donath, Ruth Donath, Arlene Fortson, John Griffin, Faye Griffin, Frank Martin, Bea Martin, Dan Medina, Priscilla Medina, Bill Pletcher, Kathy Pletcher, Pat Schaeffer, Vann Stephens, Joe Torres, Ruth Torres, Dave Van Zuiden and Brenda Van Zuiden.
Getting to know others ... enjoying the company of fellow Christians ... Examples: gatherings for food & fellowship, ice cream socials, hymn-sing events, Valentine banquets, game days/nights (horseshoes, cards, ping pong, board games, etc.), picnics, movie matinees on campus, etc.
Helping others with their various needs ... reaching out to people in the community, especially spiritually ... Examples: providing transportation to-and-from church, mission trips to Central America, HarvestFest booth, Thanksgiving baskets for those in need, senior seminars (wills, estate-planning, finances, firearm safety, etc.), honoring veterans, connecting with younger groups (young marrieds, etc.), “adopting grandkids” on Grandparents Day ... visiting homebound members ...participating in the church’s Above & Beyond mission ventures ...
Day trips that promote fellowship/ministry ... extended trips for group enjoyment (worship/vacation/recreation) ... Examples: Wycliffe Bible Translators Headquarters (Orlando), Bluegrass Festival (Palatka), Gaither Homecoming (Orlando), Holy Land Experience (Orlando), a Christmas program in the area, Cypress Gardens (Winter Haven), Space Center (Cape Canaveral), Straw- berry Festival (Plant City), St. Augustine, Answers in Genesis Museum (Kentucky), Branson (Missouri), Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge (Tennessee), Bible cruise to Caribbean, Charleston (S.C.), Epcot, Savannah (Ga.), New York, Alaska, etc.
Calendar of Events
- January 12 -- "Refuse to Be a Victim" Seminar
- January 19 -- Sole-savers (Foot-care)
- February 15-16 -- "For Men Only" Seminar
- February 23-- Sole-savers (Foot-care)
- March 16-- Sole-savers (Foot-care)
- March 23 -- Movie Matinee
- April 20 -- Sole-savers (Foot-care)
- April 24-28 -- Passion Play Support Team
- May 3-5 -- Passion Play Support Team
- May 14-18 -- Trip to Creation Museum in Kentucky
- May 18 -- Sole-savers (Foot-care)
- June 15 -- Sole-savers (Foot-care)
- June 18 -- Visit Wycliffe Bible Translator Headquarters in Orlando
- July 20 -- Sole-savers (Foot-care)
- August 17 -- Sole-savers (Foot-care)
- August 21 -- Ice Cream Fling (for entire church)
- September 14 -- Sole-savers (Foot-care)
- September 21-30 -- Mission Trip to Honduras
- October 19 -- Sole-savers (Foot-care)
- October 25 -- Fort Matanzas Picnic
- November 16 -- Sole-savers (Foot-care)
- November 21-22 -- Basket Blessings for Thanksgiving
- December 6 -- Christmas Party
- December 21 -- Sole-savers (Foot-care)
Contact Person: Jerry Schaeffer, Pastor of Senior Adults ...